Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Icon Strongarm II street jacket review


I've been riding with the Icon Strongarm jacket for a few months now, and figured I'd post my thoughts.

This jacket breaks in well after a few rides, and begins to conform to the wearer for glovelike fit. The shoulder, elbow, and back padding is confidence inspiring. The jackets materials feel up to the task of real world protection. As with all of Icon's jackets, the Strongarm is tailored for the riding position. As such it is in its element on the bike. Movement is unhindered both while riding and while perusing the racks of whatever store you've stopped at. The jacket's normal looking denim/leather materials also reduce the Are-You-A-Famous-Racer looks from other patrons. I like low profile clothing.

My only complaint with the Strongarm jacket is with the useless liner. It is neither warm nor wind resistant. Any riding under about 50 degrees is downright freezing. Also, while there are vents in the shoulders and back, it can still get a little steamy while riding in hot weather. To that end, I recommend this jacket for riders in moderate climates.

I bought this jacket from RideGear.com for about $215. It's well worth the price, but Ride Gear's shipping was a bit slow.

No comments: